Monday, November 19, 2012

Mon, 19 Nov 2012


This Week at the Grey Lodge
Woo wee another big week. No sleep til January!

Wednesday is Thanksgiving Eve, always one of the busiest bar nights of the year, so no Quizzo this week. Thanksgiving Eve is always a great night to run into old friends you haven't seen since forever. We will tap a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale for the occasion; we saved two. What goes better with Thanksgiving than pumpkin pie in a glass?

On Thanksgiving, after enjoying the day with our families, we open for business at 8pm. First floor bar only, the kitchen crew gets the whole day off. We will tap the last Dogfish Head Punkin Ale of 2012 on Thanksgiving Night. Drinking Punkin Ale and playing darts at The Grey Lodge is my favorite end to a great Thanksgiving.

Friday is Oskar (Blues) the Grouch Night. Oskar Blues pioneered craft beer in a can. I remember thinking it was a horrible idea. Then Eddie Freidland insisted I try Dales Pale Ale from a can. My thoughts on canned craft beer immediately did a 180. I've been a huge proponent of craft beer in a can ever since.  We will have all the available Oskar Blues beers either on tap or in can. Besides great beer, Oskar Blues the Grouch will be making his/her first appearance bringing his/her trashcan and grouchy attitude to the G-Lodge. This will be a hoot don't miss it. This is also believed to be the world's first garbage can themed beer event.

Here is what is going on at Hop Angel this week.


Pictures of the Day
A big thanks to the Grey Lodge Parade Brigade. I hope you all had as much fun as did. And big thanks to the Parade Committee, a huge number of neighborhood volunteers who made the Thanksgiving Parade such a huge success.







Draft Beer Update
Kicked: Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat, Samuel Adams Belgian Session (sixtel), Old Forge Single Malt Fuggle, Woodchuck Winter Cider.

Tapped:

Green Flash Friendship Brew should make Lee happy. Lee is a big fan of Brasserie St-Feuillien. Friendship Brew, Green Flash's second collateration with St-Feuillen, is a black saison that blends European and American hops, Belgian yeast and a cache of secret spices. This just went on this morning after we cleaned the lines, so I haven't tried it yet. Sounds amazing though.

Brooklyn Fiat Lux is another a saison, but it's a pale one as opposed to Green Flash's black saison. I enjoyed this one greatly yesterday after the Thanksgiving Parade. It's a very herbable saison. If this beer was in cans, it would be in my frig at home. It's very drinkable. Not a beer I might want every day, but a beer I would probably want at least once a week. Enjoy this one while it lasts. I will.

Roy Pitz Best Blonde - our fully new artist for the 2nd floor recommend this one. If he doesn't show, I know Jim and Joanne Countryman will pick up the slack. Best Blond is kolsch, which isn't always the most exciting of beers. But a good kolsch is a great beer. The Pitz boys soften the water and add lemon peel at the end, both of which is probably why the new artist was jazzed about it. I can't wait to try it. We've had it on before, but I might have missed it. This time, I won't let other beers distract me from trying some.

Draft cider returns on Wednesday.


Link of the Day
Long time friend of the Grey Lodge, Rich Pawlak sent us this intelligence test. Rich recommends you think before answering. Taking his advice, I got one wrong.

No comments: