Friday, January 27, 2012

Fri, 27 Jan 2011

I had all sort of fires to put out yesterday so I didn't get a chance to do an update with the two beers that changed over (Sorry bout that). In the 20some hours since, 6 or 7 more changed over too (I don't feel like counting).

2010 Stoudts Old Abominable replaced Philadelphia Newbold IPA. This barrel of Old Abominable was year old when we got it last year. Now it's even older. Barley wines tend to age well so the aging should be a good thing, hopefully a great thing. I'm going to try a short one later tonight.

Flying Fish Grand Cru replaced a sixtel of Ommegang 2010 Adoration. Grand Cru is a frequent though usually short lived visitor on the taps here at the Grey Lodge during the winter and has been for years.

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout replaced the sixtel of Ommegang 2010 Three Philosophers. Way back in teh day, Chicory Stout was one of Dogfish's first two core beers. A few years ago, Chicory Stout became only available seasonally. Well tis the season. If I recall correctly, besides chicory (which is like coffee if I recall correctly), this beer also has St. John's Wort and other supposedly healthly things. I guess if you are going to have to have worts, they should at least come from a saint.

This week's Beer Season beer of the week, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, replaced itself. I do not think I will be able to fit this one my drinking list for tonight. Well guess I will have to hang out here at the G-Lodge tomorrow night too.

Sly Fox Pikeland Pils replaced a sixtel of Ommegang 2011 Three Philosophers. Neal Sullivan asked for a pilsner to be back on tap; his wish is our command. But it's not like I need my arm twisted to order a keg of this great beer.

Weyerbacher Fireside Ale replaced a sixtel of Ommegang Gnomegang. Fireside, a winter seasonal, is a smoked ale. If I recall correctly, the smoke is just the right amount. I can let you know if my memory is correct later tonight. This will be my first beer after I finish working.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA replaced Sixpoint Bengali Tiger. This is a new seasonal for Sierra. It's a rye IPA. It's from Sierra so you know it be 1) hoppy, 2) great. I predict this one won't last long. This will be my 2nd beer of the night for those who plan on keeping score.

Philadelphia Walt Wit replaced Ommegang Witte. A Belgian white for a Belgian white. Walt Wit always a crowd pleaser. I wouldn't be surprised if it kicked by tomorrow night.

No comments: